Three years ago today I graduated college, the me that graduated college three years ago would have never imagined to be working in radio, but everything happens for a reason. Here’s 5 things I learned from graduating college
- You’re not going to land your dream gig right away – When I graduated college, I thought I was going to work for a record label out in Los Angeles, but that didn’t happened (at least not yet). Just because you get a degree doesn’t guarantee you get your dream job right away, and that’s OK! Just keep on keeping on or as my friend Dory says:
2. Say YES to every opportunity – You can’t afford to be picky when you’re just starting out, say yes to every opportunity that comes your way! Even if you’re just a volunteer or they pay you in gas money, you never know where it can land you!
3. For every door that opens, a thousand have closed before – You’re not going to land the gig the first time, you may not even land it the second time, it may take you months or even years to land the job that you want! Just remember: Persistence is key so keep on opening those doors!
4. Network, Network, NETWORK! – In the music biz it’s all about networking and who you know, but the same could be applied to a lot of job fields. You never know where your connections can lead you.
5. Surround yourself with a good group of people – I know this sounds cheesy but a good support system makes all the difference. I’m blessed to have the most amazing friends in this crazy music industry and without them I don’t know if I would of been able to survive this crazy roller coaster ride that I’m on.
Remember you can accomplish anything as long as you’re willing to put in the work, time, and effort. When you do, many wonderful things can happen! 🙂